Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: ELCA South Dakota Synod
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Saturday, May 08, 2010

ELCA South Dakota Synod

ELCA South Dakota Synod warns 4 SD congregations and pastor that their dual membership with the LCMC is in violation of the ELCA constitution.

I have to be honest: I have some sympathy for the ELCA's position here. I don't know what the ELCA's constitution actually says, but the defense that "the ELCA has never enforced this before" does not strike me as very strong. The ELCA appears to be well within their rights to take this action.

There is also some quibbling over whether this action by the ELCA constitutes "censure" of Rev. Frezil Westerlund and the four congregations in question. Again, I have to be honest: it does not seem that way. Censure would involve some penalty or threat of penalty, and that does not quite seem to be the case here. I would be interested in seeing the actual ELCA statement to know for sure.

Regardless, this move by ELCA South Dakota Bishop David Zellmer was perhaps not the wisest that could have been made, since it conflicts with the ELCA's publicly expressed desire to honor the consciences of those who oppose the 2009 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.

I believe that the ELCA has a decision to make. The ELCA has jettisoned the God of Abraham in favor of a new and shiny god of political activism. But this new god is a jealous god, and will not countenance heretics like Pastor Westerlund and the South Dakota congregations. The ELCA must choose between "dialog" or obedience to its new god. It cannot have both. This is the price of the 2009 General Assembly's actions, although the ELCA leadership may not wish to admit it.

My wife and I felt called to leave the ELCA. However, God may have issued a different call for Pastor Westerlund and the four congregations she serves. They need our prayers.