Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Catholic priest murdered in Tanzania
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Monday, February 18, 2013

Catholic priest murdered in Tanzania

Catholic priest Fr. Evarist Mushi, was murdered yesterday (February 17).

Key quote:

[Bishop Augustine Shao, Catholic Bishop of Zanzibar], who is waiting for the police enquiry to find a motive, suspects that the priest’s murder "may be connected with other local events. Recently explicit assassination threats against bishops and priests were seen in local newspapers. At Christmas, another local priest, Fr. Ambrose Mkenda was seriously injured in an ambush (see Fides 3/1/2013). Fr. Ambrose is still recovering from his wounds in hospital. Furthermore, last year, 2012, three Catholic churches and several churches of other Christian denominations in Zanzibar, were set on fire.

A group calling itself the Muslim Renewal is claiming credit for the attacks and promises more of them this Easter.

Key quote:

“We thank our young men, trained in Somalia, for killing an infidel. Many more will die. We will burn homes and churches. We have not finished: at Easter, be prepared for disaster”; Signed “Muslim Renewal”.

Please pray for the people of Tanzania.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am praying... FR.MUSHI was my great friend and I am so sick and so sad....

Recovering Lutheran said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Ordinarily, Tanzania is a very peaceful country, but not in this case.