Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: A Christmas troll
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Christmas troll

Unfortunately this sort of rubbish is becoming an annual event.

Two important things Dowd seems to be unaware of:

  • Mary and Joseph were not refugees. They were required by the Roman government to travel to Bethlehem so they could participate in a census and be taxed.
  • There is nothing in the Bible that tells us whether Mary and Joseph were rich or poor. The fact that they stayed in a stable was because there was no room at the inn (Luke 2:7), and does not necessarily indicate they were poor.
  • Also, it is hard to know what Dowd meant when he made his wisecrack about "Jews, Arabs, Africans". Mary and Joseph were Jews, but the terms "Arabs" and "Africans" are more recent labels unknown in the time of Jesus. Dowd might have been referring to the wise men and/or the shepherds, but it is hard to be sure.

    After a number of people pointed out the errors in Dowd's ignorant Tweet he had this to say:

    Well, now. I know Christians make a easy target for secular media outfits like ABC, but this was pretty cowardly. One fellow Tweeter had a good response to Dowd's Christmas Eve blast:

    That's what I'd like to know.

    No comments: