Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Land o' Lakes
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Land o' Lakes

NASA's Cassini spacecraft has discovered evidence of lakes on Saturn's largest moon Titan. The lakes are believed to be composed of liquid methane, so don't plan on taking a dip if you someday travel there.

Key quote:

The result, which is a new analysis of Cassini data, is unexpected because models had assumed the long-standing bodies of liquid would only exist at the poles. The findings appear in this week's issue of the journal Nature.

Where could the liquid for these lakes come from? "A likely supplier is an underground aquifer," said Caitlin Griffith, the paper's lead author and a Cassini team associate at the University of Arizona, Tucson. "In essence, Titan may have oases."

No comments: