Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: The not-so-noble lie
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Saturday, June 25, 2016

The not-so-noble lie

I recently came across this quote by Theodore Dalrymple:

In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, not to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is...in some small way to become evil oneself. One's standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.

Watching the recent media coverage of the Orlando massacre I kept thinking about Dalrymple's observation. The killer, Omar Mateen, was a registered Democrat and also was a Muslim. In fact Mateen had pledged allegiance to ISIS before he was killed, yet the media has decided that Christians and the NRA were somehow the real culprits.

The princes of this world are consistent: they will tell any lie so they can stay in power. Will you play along and pretend the evil of the media does not concern you?

1 comment:

Vee said...

Powerful stuff here. We certainly have, until recent months, become "a nation of emasculated liars." I no longer accept the narrative given.