Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Has atheism fallen on hard times?
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Has atheism fallen on hard times?

Recently, atheism has had to endure de-baptisms. Now Richard Dawkins, who might be considered by many to be the Pope of Atheism, is now refusing to debate the issue with William Lane Craig.

Some may think the professed atheist Dawkins has lost his nerve and is afraid to discuss an issue he appears to be losing on. Perhaps. But I will stick with my theory that Dawkins actually believes in God - and hates Him.

Dawkins views religious people the same way racist Southerners viewed blacks in the Jim Crow South. We can say a lot of things about that (none of them good), but we would never say that racists do not believe blacks exist. In fact, a pretty good case could be made that Dawkins is obsessed with God, to the point that he actually thinks that all of these bestsellers and TV appearances can somehow obliterate God.

As a lapsed atheist, I understand how atheism can seem as intellectually fearless and cool. But I lost my faith in atheism when I realized that atheism ducked too many important issues. Moreover, atheism had plenty of disdain for those who believed in God - but very little evidence to back up its claim that there is no God. Sporting an attitude like Dawkins' may wow them in the universities and the secular media, but it a poor substitute for thinking.

At any rate, atheism ain't what it used to be. The anti-believer Dawkins is proof of that.

No comments: