Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: We don't do history no more
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Sunday, June 19, 2011

We don't do history no more

An interview with historian David McCullough confirms what I have seen during my time in education. Modern history textbooks have a political rather than an educational agenda. The end result has been to dumb-down students.

My wife is currently pursuing a BA degree in mathematics. Her American history courses consisted of little more that testimonials from "marginalized" voices (How can these voices be marginalized when they are the only ideas and opinions allowed in the classroom anymore?). As a result, she has practically no knowledge about the timeline of American history nor major events such as the Dred Scott decision, the New Deal, or the reasons why the Civil War was fought.

Key quote from the interview:

[M]any textbooks have become "so politically correct as to be comic. Very minor characters that are currently fashionable are given considerable space, whereas people of major consequence farther back"—such as, say, Thomas Edison—"are given very little space or none at all."

Indeed. These textbooks are also profoundly Christophobic to the point of outright distortion. Too many authors (and teachers) believe it is their duty to "raise the consciences" of those they consider to be intellectually and morally inferior to them - meaning just about everybody outside their little circle of friends.

I see this in the graduate-level class I am presently enrolled in. The course is supposed to be about curriculum development, but is in fact nothing but a series of leftist political harangues. No wonder the education system is in trouble.

Ironically, if I engaged in the same behavior that my college instructor has, if I used my position as a mathematics teacher to proselytize for Christianity in the same way he has preached secularism and Marxism, I would be fired and probably sued. In the university settings I have found that free and open debate is something that is denied to Christians.

Right now, outside of a few sporadic incidents (some of which I have written about on this blog) there is no systematic discrimination against Christians in the US. I believe that is about to change, and that the same repression and terror that is the normal condition that other Christians face worldwide is about to come to America. This will catch a number of Christians off-guard, but it should not. Did not Jesus say,
"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me." (KJV - John 15:18-21)

3 comments:

Ken & Carol said...

If what you suggest is true, shouldn't we all make some effort to join together for the common defense? How many battalions does the LCMS have?

Recovering Lutheran said...

How many battalions does the LCMS have?

Probably the name number the Pope has. John Paul II came out on top in his struggles with communism, but he had Reagan and Thatcher as aces up his sleeve.

Frankly, I don't see how Christians can mount much of an earthly defense. Right now in the US there seems to be a conflict shaping up between those who hold the State to be the supreme authority, and those who do not. Those opposed to the Supreme State can resist through the political and legal process, but what happens if the other side decides that the Constitution, the law, the media, and the education system are merely tools to be used in the pursuit of power?

Ken & Carol said...

We have had some successes in the past, perhaps short-lived, but still . . . . Is Paine's "If we do not hang together we shall surely hang separately" of any use here?