Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Archaeologists discover evidence of Bethlehem before Jesus' time
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Monday, May 28, 2012

Archaeologists discover evidence of Bethlehem before Jesus' time

The Israel Antiquities Authority has announced the earliest archaeological evidence of the city of Bethlehem.

Key quote:

Archaeologists have discovered a bulla – or piece of clay used to seal documents and other objects – that is only about half of an inch across and has the word "Bethlehem" written on it in ancient Hebrew.

"This is the first time the name Bethlehem appears outside the Bible, in an inscription from the First Temple period, which proves that Bethlehem was indeed a city in the Kingdom of Judah, and possibly also in earlier periods," said Eli Shukron, director of the excavation, in a statement.

No comments: