Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Never admit...
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Monday, August 13, 2012

Never admit...

...you are a virgin. That is what Lolo Jones learned when the NY Times ran a hit piece on her. Tim Groseclose has all of the details.

Key quote:

For many fans, the [NY Times article] came as a surprise. The editors at the sports website sbnation.com, for instance, described its harsh tone as “pretty ruthless.” But awareness of a few facts makes the tone less surprising. One is the Times’s political bias. The other is that Jones, over the last several months, has been coming out of the closet with some conservative tendencies. First, she’s a devout Christian and a fan of Tim Tebow. Second, and perhaps most irritating for liberal elites, she’s a 30-year-old virgin. As she recently Tweeted: “Yes, I’m a virgin. #1 reason I’m single bc guys deuce out when I won’t put out. I do so to honor God & future husband.”

Jones was clearly surprised at the Times’s harsh coverage. As she said on the Today show: “I thought it was crazy . . . the fact that it was from a U.S. media, like, I mean, they should be supporting our Olympic U.S. athletes, and instead they just ripped me to shreds.” Someone should explain to Jones that what she calls “supporting our Olympic U.S. athletes,” the typical Times reporter would consider “jingoism.” Someone might also point out that you can’t be a Christian virgin and expect fair coverage from the Paper of Record.

Indeed. It is hard to imaging the Times running a similar piece on her if she were (say) a Muslim or a lesbian.

Thank you, Lolo Jones, for standing up for what you believe in.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I had no idea about any of this.

I am incredibly irritated!!! How horrible of folks to put her through this simply because she doesn't disrespect herself (or her future husband) through casual sex.

BLESS HER!

Thank you so much for posting this.