Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Staring down the bullies
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Staring down the bullies

Glenn Reynolds over at Instapundit is a daily must-read for me. While I do not agree with everything he writes, I respect both his opinion and his blogging style.

Today he was up to his usual high standards concerning the nationwide Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. Professor Reynolds is a strong supporter of same-sex marriage, so he is hardly a right-wing Christianist nut who cane be safely ignored by secular progressives. Reynolds pointed out that many who showed their support today for Chick-fil-A did not agree with the company president's stated opposition to same-sex marriage, but were angered by the bullying tactics and ugly threats from political leaders in Boston, San Francisco, and Chicago. I found that very encouraging.

Unlike some parts of the world, the USA is still a nation that (usually) protects religious freedom and the right to free speech. There are many in the secular media, entertainment industry, and academia who want to impost totalitarianism in the name of fighting "intolerance" (meaning banning any idea or opinion that disagrees with their own), but I believe they are at present a minority, albeit a powerful one. Whether the USA remains a free nation is very much in question, however.

I did not have the opportunity to participate in today’s “boycott”. I have heard that some supporters of same-sex marriage intend to stage their own demonstrations, presumably to intimidate employees and customers. If so, I plan to patronize Chick-fil-A on that day and enjoy crossing the picket lines. Bullying triumphs only by default. Stand up to the bullies and show them you are not afraid.

No comments: