Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Social justice?
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Social justice?

I missed this one when it happened:

ELCA drops out of Lutheran Malaria Initiative; Lutheran World Relief and LCMS to continue joint effort to combat malaria.

Interesting how when it comes to its obsession with secular politics the ELCA never seems to run out of cash. I understand that all denominations have budget priorities, but any organization that engages in race-baiting, funds Washington lobbyists, or issues political proclamations about everything under the sun has no business calling itself a Christian church.

I wish that all denominations - be they conservative or liberal - would take a decade-long break from secular politics of any kind. Stop yammering about "social justice" and instead work to feed the poor. Re-discover the Gospel of the Lord, and engage in some serious prayers. Stop "organizing the community" and actually live in it. If Mark Hanson, Pat Robertson, Jim Wallis, or any other Christian leader wants to be a politician, let him or her run for office and stop trying to hijack God for their own selfish purposes. Using church donations to help politically powerful groups while ignoring the cries of dying children - that is evil.

I suppose that this should not bother me, since I am no longer a Lutheran. Yet since the decision of August 2009 to reject the Gospel in favor of secular politics the ELCA has started giving voice to every filthy, dirty instinct the human spirit can vomit forth. How much longer will God let this go on?

At any rate, if you wish to donate and help to actually do something for social justice click here.

No comments: