Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Academic thuggery
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Academic thuggery

University of Rochester President Joel Seligman rebukes economics professor Steven Landsburg for daring to criticize Sandra Fluke. Worse still, seventeen students disrupted Professor Landsburg's lecture with no consequences from the university's administration. Is this America, or Nazi Germany?

So much for free speech.

So much for academic freedom.

This is why I rarely take complaints about the tone of political discourse in America seriously. Too many in the secular media and the universities who wail about "incivility" are like President Seligman: lying hypocrites willing to demand self-censorship from those whom they hate while reserving for their side the right to use intimidation, threats, and even violence if it furthers their political objectives.

And as for Miss Fluke herself and her bizarre demand that others subsidize her promiscuous behavior, Mark Steyn has said what I think far better than I ever could.

No comments: