Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Teaching mathematics in Tanzania
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Teaching mathematics in Tanzania

An opinion piece by Beniel Seka concerning the problem of finding quality mathematics teachers in Tanzania.

Key quote:

One of the greatest problems facing our schools is lack of teachers, especially science and mathematics ones. The problem is rooted in other problems such as low salaries, unsuitable teaching environment and inability to admit enough suitable students in the teachers' colleges.

Mathematics is feared by many pupils especially in secondary schools and records the highest failure rate for the Secondary O-level National examinations. This makes it very difficult to select students to train as mathematics teachers.

No comments: