Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: Civility is for the little people
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Civility is for the little people

Where are the self-anointed civility and tolerance enforcers in the secular media and academia, now that we really need them? Bill Maher claims GOP Presidential candidate Rick Santorum homeschools his children in a "Christian madrassa" in order to keep them ignorant. Maher's anti-Catholic bigotry is fave rave among the glitterati, although he might catch some blowback from Muslims for his crack about "madrassas".

I am trying to figure out how celebrities who attack the young children of conservative politicians like Sarah Palin and Rick Santorum escape the wrath of the Civility Gestapo, while those who criticize a 30-year old student who wants to sponge off of society by forcing them to pay thousands of dollars a year for her birth control are guilty of some heinous crime. Critics of Rush Limbaugh would have a stronger case if so many of them were not such lying hypocrites when it comes to civility.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I'm all for the crack down Limbaugh received. He should've never used the word he used (though I'm unsurprised considering his typical choice of diction).

However, you make a good point about the "Civility Gestapo" regarding Santorum / Palin.

For as much as I dislike Palin, I cannot fathom folks attacking her underage children.

And regarding Santorum, while I don't agree with all of his ideas, I'm immensely impressed with his family's dedication to values and morality.

But I love this post - some of the terms you come up with are spot on (and hilarious). :)