Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: The limits of social science
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Monday, August 02, 2010

The limits of social science

This article by Jim Manzi is only indirectly related to Christianity. But it is a sobering reminder of the limits of the social sciences.

It is good to remember that when sweeping programs that will modify human behavior and create some sort of "Great Society" are proposed. Too many theologians think that creating Heaven on Earth is something that God has outsourced to humanity.

Of course we are to heal the sick, feed the hungry, and clothe the naked. But we cannot create the Kingdom of God ourselves or usher it in by force. We can only proclaim its inevitable coming.