Musings of a Recovering Lutheran: No go
I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 

Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV)

Friday, January 14, 2011

No go

Westboro Baptist Church will not picket any of the funerals of the six who died last Saturday in the shootings in Arizona.

Apparently they got what they believe to be a better offer. Radio talk show host Mike Gallagher will interview Shirley Phelps-Roper, a church spokeswoman for Westboro Baptist Church.

Key quote from the article:

“No question it’s a painful process,” Gallagher told the Associated Press of allowing Phelps-Roper on his show. “Believe me, I’m doing this show with a heavy heart. I don’t like the idea of giving them the satisfaction of this, but I believe my radio airwaves are less important than them hurting families.”

He said the timing of his offer flies in the face of the debate raging over whether conservative talk radio contributed to the shooting spree in some way.

“For all of the accusations that talk radio is so destructive and the claims that vitriol of conservatives has led to Jared Lee Loughner’s actions, here’s an example of talk radio doing something I think is pretty good— to stop families from being harmed by the Phelpses,” Gallagher said. “Nothing else has seemed to work.”


I don't know. To me it's like interviewing Fidel Castro or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: a highly distasteful idea. Let's hope Gallagher asks some tough questions and helps to unmask these false prophets.

1 comment:

Micha Elyi said...

Mike Gallagher has made this sort of deal with the ghoulish Phelps gang in order to draw their pickets away from high-profile funerals and the mourning families.

On air, Mr. Gallagher pays out the rope and the true believer Phelps-er energetically knots a noose and jumps into it.

As we pray for the souls of the departed and the comfort of those who knew and loved them, let us also spare a moment to ask our God for His grace and healing for the Phelps' that they not take His name in vain. And that all Christians may be one as God the Father and god the Son are one.